[olug] System monitoring

Daniel Pfile daniel at pfile.net
Wed Sep 6 16:21:14 UTC 2006

Dave Weis wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, Craig Wolf wrote:
>
>> So, what is everyone using???  Thanx to all in advance and ask me for
>> more info if needed!
>>

> We use nagios for our own use and a few clients also. It's very flexible
> but somewhat of a PITA to configure the first time. You can do ping
> checking, service checking, etc. It also supports dependencies so if a
> router at a remote site goes down you don't get 100 messages because every
> service behind it died.
>
> dave

Nagios here as well. Be sure to check out the ssh framework, I'm now
using that as the active backup for distributed passive checks behind
firewalls. If you need to monitor web stuff, webinject has a nagios
plugin that I use as well.

http://neuntoeter.homelinux.org/wiki/index.php/Ssh_framework

http://www.webinject.org/plugin.html

-- Daniel