[olug] iFolder

Bill Brush bbrush at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 16:39:43 UTC 2006

On 11/28/06, Todd Christopher Hamilton <netarttodd at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have never heard of it.  After Kenny asked the question I looked at
> the software and it looks cool.  Could some explain to me the
> advantages of this tool over a standard work group shared/public
> directory method?

Well it's not generally what I consider a replacement for shared file
storage, but a complement.

Here's how I use it:
I have the ifolder client installed on my home and work computers, and
the laptop I use.  I store all files in one of several "ifolders".
When I make a change to a file it is sync'ed up to the server.  When
another computer with the client comes online, the client checks it's
file lists against what's on the server and brings down the changes.
If I get a new machine I can just download my ifolders from the server
and all my files are there.  I don't have to worry about losing files
due to a crash, or wonder about which file is current (home or work?).

You can share an iFolder with someone else, which is handy, but I
don't use that a whole lot.

Bill