[olug] Security in a simple home system

Jack jdunn110 at cox.net
Mon Nov 20 21:40:13 UTC 2006

    At home I run Mandriva 2006, using a Cox cable modem and a Netgear
router (with a 27 character password).  I have all the Mandriva 2006
firewalls in place.  Recently I have noticed that my time display in the
system tray changed itself to the Los Angeles time zone.
    Then I began getting a popup telling me that 'kded' had crashed and
offering to notify the KDE developers. Upon investigation, I noticed
anywhere from 2 to 5 instances of 'kded' running.  They went away when
killed but reappear when I reboot the machine.
    I run a local, moderately controversial website:
progressiveomaha.com.  My question is: do these sound like normal
linux/mandriva errors, or am I somehow the target of a cracker?

    Jack