[olug] KDE Kate editor and plugins.

Daniel Linder dan at linder.org
Tue Nov 14 15:00:39 UTC 2006

I've been playing with the Kate editor that is my GUI editor-of-choice in
KDE environments.  It has some powerful plugins, but has anyone used it as
a personal Wiki?

For the customers I support, I take daily notes of
changes/updates/conversations in a plain .txt file.  This works well
enough, but there are times I would like to have the ability to
automatically insert the current date/time when I start a new comment, or
the ability to turn certain phrases (CamelCase) into hyper-links so I can
say "I executed the SystemBackup steps..." and the editor would display
the "SystemBackup" as a hyperlink to a section that documents those steps.

I have played with installing a web server and Wiki on my laptop, but if
Kate (or another editor) provided this as a simple plug-in I could save
quite a bit of space on my laptops tiny HDD.

I've also played with TiddlyWikki (http://www.tiddlywiki.com/), but my
note files tend to get large and the huge JavaScript enabled HTML files
really chew up the CPU.

One

- - - -
"Wait for that wisest of all counselors, time." -- Pericles
"I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them." -- Isaac Asimov
"Soon we will be able to harness the rotational energy from Orwell's grave
to solve all world energy problems." -- /. user GigsVT (208848)
GPG fingerprint:6FFD DB94 7B96 0FD8 EADF  2EE0 B2B0 CC47 4FDE 9B68