[olug] Looking for Open Source alternatives

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 21:26:00 UTC 2006

If you're just doing a simple select from a table, MySQL... sure...

If you start needing subselects, views, ACID compliance, more
extensibility/programability, etc.... PgSQL all the way :).

I will note that it appears MySQL and PgSQL ODBC drivers both appear have
problems with Microsoft SQL four-part-naming conventions.  In a recent
linked-server situation, I had to do all of my queries via OPENQUERY() and
usp_executesql().

-Will