[olug] [Macintosh] Powermac G3, Ubuntu, and OS X

Matt Anderson manderso at cs.wisc.edu
Thu May 18 19:54:22 UTC 2006

Does the G3 have a DVD player?  As of OS 10.4, I believe regular
consumer copies of OS X Client are only distributed on DVD (according
to Apple Enterprise Support).  If 10.3 fits your needs, you can get
that on CD.

Slightly newer Macs (as of a fairly early G4 revision) have a
'firewire target disk mode' which lets another computer use the Mac
as an external hard disk.  I know that the earliest G4 (Yikes!) does
not support this (as I have one).  The G4 Sawtooth model (immediately
following the Yikes! model) does support target disk mode (I have one
of those too).  I don't know if any G3s support that functionality or
not.  If yours does, you could put it into target disk mode, hook it
up to another Mac, and install the operating system.

Assuming you don't have a DVD player or target disk mode, I'd say
your best options are to either (a) install a DVD player or (b) put a
hard disk into your G3 that had the OS installed on it while it was
in another Mac.  I think a Mac of your G3's vintage will support
128GB or so of space on an IDE HDD (bigger is fine, but extra
capacity will go unrecognized without third party software) -- this
is assuming hard disk support is the same as on my 2 early G4s.  I
don't know what DVD players are compatible (maybe all IDE DVD
players) -- I haven't installed one.

If you're going to run 10.4, I don't think you'll be satisfied with
the performance of the machine with only 128MB of RAM.  My personal
feeling is that 512MB is the minimum for acceptable performance (at
least for how I use a Mac -- slowdown due to extensive swapping is
very annoying).  I think my early G4s take PC100 RAM.

If you pay fees to be an Apple developer, you can download software
from Apple, including the client (and server) operating systems.  The
lowest such fee I believe is $500, and I think the software is
configured to expire after a year.  I don't know what the
installation is like if you obtain the OS in this way.

A nice resource with information about older Macs is Low End Mac:

   http://www.lowendmac.com/ppc/

Good luck...

--
  Matt Anderson