[olug] DVD Camcorder and Linux

Robert Alan Jacobs r.a.jacobs at cox.net
Wed Mar 29 04:27:12 UTC 2006

OBrien, Timothy wrote:
> <quote who="Adam Lassek">
>
>>Those Mini-DVDs are a bad idea, unlike the commercials they are NOT as
>>simple at recording video and popping the thing into a DVD player. If
>>you want to easily import video to a computer in a completely digital
>>solution, DV is probably your best bet.
>>

> Not to mention, are not those Mini-DVD camcorders only made by Sony? The
> infamous DRM, root kit Sony?

No.  Mini-DVD camcorders are made by a number of manufacturers; at least
Sony, Panasonic and Canon come to mind.

> You know my answer to suggesting anything made by Sony, yes?

Trust me.  Sony was never in the running - for exactly this reason and
the fact that their cameras use MemoryStick memory cards instead of SD.

I'm actually leaning towards a Panasonic.  Seems to get really great
reviews for image quality and the ability to manually override stuff
(Sony, btw, scores low in flexibility - highly user-friendly but does
not provide the options for override that Panasonic does).

Rob