[olug] Suggestion for a PCMCIA Wireless Ethernet Card

John Amdor III johnmxl at cox.net
Mon Mar 20 01:13:13 UTC 2006

Paul & Debbie Lewis wrote:
> I'm a newbie with wireless Ethernet and Linux.  I was given a IBM ThinkPad
> 385ED and am going to load Linux with IceWM onto it, but I need to add a
> Ethernet card.  Can I get a recommendation for a card?  I noticed CompUSA
> has US Robotics cards for less then twenty...will they work with Linux?
>
> I'm looking to load Debian using one of the Knoppix's hacks.

I'm using a older Linksys WPC54G (Version 2 with Texas Instruments
ACX111 chipset) and ndiswrapper on Ubuntu.

I had problems with my original setup, using a Linksys WPC54G V4 but I
don't think it was a problem with ndiswrapper - I think the card itself
is bad, since it didn't work well in Windows either.

Looking at the ndiswrapper list

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/List#U
(tinyURL http://tinyurl.com/lmvgu)

I see that several USR cards are listed, but it appears that extracting
the Windows drivers to use with ndiswrapper may be a little difficult.

Unfortunately you can't always tell the chipset until you insert the
card and run 'lspci' ...in most cases you can't return the card once you
open the shrinkwrap.

Since I don't have any financial interest in RTU I'd suggest giving Jay
a call.  Google 'Reboot The User' for contact info if you don't have it.

John Amdor
Council Bluffs IA