[olug] Jim Esch campaign/technology round table

nealr neal at lists.rauhauser.net
Wed Jun 28 19:07:20 UTC 2006

   I was in the Jim Esch campaign HQ today and I spent some time with
the campaign manager talking about Net Neutrality, the Broadcast Flag,
and other stuff. They talked amongst themselves and if we're willing
they'd like to have Jim show up at some sort of OLUG sponsored event in
the next two weeks so they can get educated about these and other issues.

  We'll need a date (Thursday, July 13th), a time (7:00 PM?), and I
think the 412 South 19th location would be great, as long as it is
available.

   We'll also have to have something of an agenda in advance - I think
the following would be a good start:

Net Neutrality from an operations perspective
consequences of the Broadcast Flag efforts
benefits of free/open source software in government

  It'd be nice if someone can flesh this out into a one page 'talking
points' - perhaps an examination of EFF's stuff would help here, and
I'll work with the campaign manager to get the time firmed up.

  Who will show up if we do such a thing?