[olug] Suse 10.1 xmms

jachurchill at cox.net jachurchill at cox.net
Fri Jun 23 01:05:47 UTC 2006

I've always used xmms as a music player in Linux but have not had Linux installed in quite a while.  I'm now using Suse 10.1.  The version of xmms that came default with the installation is 1.2.10 with the xmms-kde front-end version 3.1.  I've checked file permissions and everything is fine.  The mp3 files that I have play perfectly with other players such as amarok or banshee but frankly I'm not used to them and don't want to have to change.

The overall problem I'm having is that I can't get any files added to the playlist to actually play.    I have tried the file add and directory add functions in xmms as well as right clicking on the file in the GUI and selectiing "open with" xmms and I've tried opening the files through the konsole.  By the way, I'm using KDE 3.5.1.

Has anyone else had any problems like this or have any ideas of how to fix it.  Alternatively, does anyone know of any other good mp3 players that I should check out?  The reason for using xmms is that some of my music is from iTunes in m4p format and xmms has a plugin for that.

Any and all ideas are appreciated.

Thanks!