[olug] disk woes

Eric Lusk wyrmzr72 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 21 01:47:44 UTC 2006

I would say if at all possible (better to have
"maintenance" downtime than hardware failure downtime,
get the manufacturer's drive test utility (I use the
Ultimate Boot CD for 99% of my testing, since it has
most of the test utilities), and see if it comes up
with any problems.

--- Phil Brutsche <phil at brutsche.us> wrote:

> How old is the drive? It sounds like normal sector
> remapping, especially
> one an older drive would do.
>
> I would be worried about the uncorrectable errors,
> and would take them
> as a sign that the drive will go pttth soonish.
>
> Oh, and I've never seen these messages on any of my
> CentOS hosts, but I
> don't run smartd on them either - all but one have
> hardware RAID cards
> and therefore other methods of detecting bad hard
> drives.
>
> gregory at r3g.net wrote:
> > Every once in a while, I will get one or two of
> these messages from the 64-bit CentOS 4.3 system.
> > ------------8< snip ------------------
> > The following warning/error was logged by the
> smartd daemon:
> >
> > Device: /dev/hda, 12 Offline uncorrectable sectors
> >
> > For details see host's SYSLOG (default:
> /var/log/messages).
> >
> > You can also use the smartctl utility for further
> investigation.
> > No additional email messages about this problem
> will be sent.
> > ------------8< snip ------------------
> >
> > /var/log/messages gives much less information
> >
> > Jun 20 18:00:18 smtp smartd[2176]: Device:
> /dev/hda, 1 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors
> > Jun 20 18:00:18 smtp smartd[2176]: Device:
> /dev/hda, 12 Offline uncorrectable sectors
> > ------------8< snip ------------------
> >
> > I don't see huge disk issues and it seems to
> appear three or four times per month.
> >
> > Has anyone seen this before? Is it unique to
> CentOS? This is the first 64-bit Linux host I have
> ever installed, so I have no comparison.
>
> --
>
> Phil Brutsche
> phil at brutsche.us

https://www.ericshaus.com
Alcohol and Calculus don't mix.  Never drink and derive.