[olug] Lee Terry on Net Neutrality

Mr Scsi mrscsi at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 21:17:00 UTC 2006

I'm not sure if this has been discussed much, but I for one did send an
email/letter to my congressmen.
For what its worth, here is a reply I got:

Dear Mr. <sniped>:

             Thank you for contacting me with your concerns about net
neutrality.

             On June 8, 2006, the House of Representatives overwhelmingly
approved the bipartisan "Communications, Opportunity , Promotion, and
Enhancement Act" (COPE).

             The COPE Act is primarily a video franchise bill that would
allow telephone companies to receive a national franchise certificate
allowing them to streamline the franchise process. Currently, if a new video
provider comes to a community, the provider must obtain a franchise from the
local government. That franchise gives the provider the right to do business
in that community and rights to the cities' right of ways. However, today
many new video providers find the local franchise process extremely
burdensome and a hurdle in bringing competition to the public and the COPE
Act would ease that burden and bring more competition to the public.

             Another aspect of COPE is the net neutrality provisions. H.R.
5252 gives the Federal Communication Commission (FCC) strong authority to
protect access to Web sites and Internet applications by allowing the FCC to
enforce its broadband principles that ensure consumers are entitled to: (1)
Access to lawful Internet content of their choice; (2) Run applications and
services of their choice, subject to the needs of law enforcement; (3)
Connect their choice of legal devices that do not harm the network; (4)
Competition among network providers, application and service providers, and
content providers.

             I do not believe Congress should regulate the internet by
accepting further net neutrality provisions. The FCC under H.R. 5252 will
have explicit authority to enforce net neutrality. H.R. 5252 will permit the
FCC to impose fines of $500,000 for each violation of the broadband
principles and the FCC is mandated to resolve any dispute within 90 days. By
approaching net neutrality on a case-by-case basis, the FCC can establish
fair rules of the road as Internet providers roll out new services. Imposing
nondiscriminatory rules on all providers would stop innovation in its
tracks.

             The internet today has operated well without further laws
regulating internet service providers (ISPs). However, I would not want to
see any provider, whether ISP, cable company, or telephone company have the
power to block or deny anyone access to the Internet.

             Thanks again for contacting me.

Sincerely,
LEE TERRY
Member of Congress