[olug] F.Y.I. - Google Earth, now available on Linux!

Daniel Linder dan at linder.org
Wed Jun 14 18:24:32 UTC 2006

I just downloaded it and it is a lot like the Windows version I've used
before (no suprise).

The only gotcha that I encounterd was that my ATI card driver (the ATI
OpenGL version) has a bug and apparetly all OpenGL accelorated graphics
are broke at the current time (Kubuntu 6.06) -- the fix is high on the
Ubuntu team list so shouldn't be too long.  Thankfully I don't do
much in OpenGL right now. :)

I did play with it a bit using the MesaGL (software rendering) and it was
as fast as could be expected.  Glad to see that Google has thrown
some of it's weight behind native Linux clients.  Now I want a native
Picasa client!

Dan

On Wed, June 14, 2006 09:51, Jay Swackhamer wrote:

> Some excellent news this morning for all you Linux jockeys - you
can

> now join the rest of the planet in enjoying Google Earth, as the

> search monolith has just released Version 4 beta of the programme
in

> PC, Mac and Linux flavours.

- - - -

"Wait for that wisest of all counselors, time." -- Pericles

"I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them." -- Isaac
Asimov

"Soon we will be able to harness the rotational energy from Orwell's
grave to solve all world energy problems." -- /. user GigsVT
(208848)

GPG fingerprint:6FFD DB94 7B96 0FD8 EADF  2EE0 B2B0 CC47 4FDE 9B68