[olug] protecting MySQL password on multi-user system

Eric P eric.maillist at gmail.com
Sun Jun 4 16:25:26 UTC 2006

Trent Melcher wrote:
> OK, is the web_root directory under your home directory?  Is it yours and
> yours only web directory?  If so then you could try it this way.
>
> Put a .htaccess file into your web_root directory, add these 2 values
>
> SetEnv DBUSER mysqluser
> SetEnv DBPASS mysqlpass
>
> PHP will get these variables passed in the $_SERVER superglobal as
> $_SERVER['DBUSER'] and $_SERVER['DBPASS'].
>
> Then add this to your php code.
>
> $handle = mysql_connect('localhost', $_SERVER['DBUSER'], $_SERVER['DBPASS'])
> or die(mysql_error());
>
> If this Multi-User system has everyone using the same web_root directory,
> then there really isn't a good way to look it down so nobosy else can use
> your password file.
>

> Trent
Sorry for the LATE reply.  I finally took a moment to try this.

Yes, the web directory is ours alone.

I just tried this out.  Thanks for sharing this tidbit... didn't know you could set global vars like this.

I was able to stick the .htaccess file in webroot or even one below webroot and then retrive my global vars.

However, I've still have a problem in that if the perms on this file aren't 644 (world readble), Apache cannot access
this file; I get 'Forbidden - You don't have permission to access /test.php on this server.'  test.php is merely the
file trying to echo the global var.

Hmph....

Thanks all the same.
Eric.