[olug] Xgl - WOW

Cesar Delgado cdelgad2 at bigred.unl.edu
Thu Jul 27 23:54:09 UTC 2006

I've played with XGL a bit and it was cool, but lately I've been using
E17 (Enlightenment 0.17) exclusively and I'm in love.  Yes it breaks
every now and again but the user experience is fantastic.  No, it
doesn't have a fancy cube to switch between desktops (not even the cool
effects from E16).  No, it doesn't have the cool wobbly windows.  Yes,
it does have a plug-in that adds the composite ability of X (it's called
Bling, funny eh?), real transparent windows and such.  You can have
animated backgrounds, stuff living on your desktop (I have a couple of
rss readers), and you can customize the hell out of it (I have the key
bindings exactly the same as my OS X box).

I wrote a script that downloads all that's needed to compile and run E17
onf FC5 but it's been only tested on Linux/PPC.  I'm sure it wouldn't
take much tweaking to make it work on X86 or X86-64.  I just don't have
access to any of those boxes running FC5 right now.  If someone has a
box that I could have access to it shouldn't take to long to adapt it.

-Cesar