[olug] hooking up Postifx and SASL

Mike Hostetler hostetlerm at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 18:32:09 UTC 2006

Has anyone tried to use SASL in Postfix?

This is the page I found:
http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html

And this is what I put in my main.cf:

smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_sasl_path = smtpd2
smtpd_sasl_local_domain = $myhostname
broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes

And this is what I put in my smtpd2.conf:
pwcheck_method: pwcheck

But when I test it, I get the following:
220 acio-wprhs ESMTP Postfix
ehlo omahostetlerm
250-acio-wprhs
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 10240000
250-VRFY
250-ETRN
250-AUTH PLAIN OTP DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5
250-AUTH=PLAIN OTP DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250 DSN
auth plain bWFpbHVzZXIAbWFpbHVzZXIAbWFpbHVzZXI
535 5.7.0 Error: authentication failed: another step is needed in authentication

I'm not sure what that error means.  Google gives me no love.

The link above has the AUTH line different, which is:
250-AUTH DIGEST-MD5 PLAIN CRAM-MD5

But I don't know how to get it that way.  I believe that maybe my problem.

Any insight would be appreciated.

--
Mike Hostetler
http://mike.hostetlerhome.com/