[olug] Slightly OT: COX digital channel numbers (mythTV users?)

Sean Kelly smkelly at zombie.org
Mon Jul 24 22:52:18 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 02:55:32PM -0500, Sean Kelly wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 12:36:32PM -0500, Ryan Stille wrote:
> > > That said, since I do not pay for their HD tier, I do not have access to
> > > the TNT-HD, ESPN-HD, and other HD channels. I can't capture them, I can't
> > > watch them, and I can't generally touch them at all. This, to me, implies
> > > that they are encrypted.
> > >
> > > So, I'm guessing you're going to be pretty much limited to CBS, NBC, FOX,
> > > ABC, and PBS.
> > >

> > Hmmm.. So when you tune to 819, you don't get TNT-HD? The tech on the
> > phone told me that Cox doesn't charge specifically for the HD channels,
> > but they do rent the HD cable box so you can pick them up.  Their
> > website seems to support that also:
> > http://cox.com/omaha/digitalcable/hdtv_faqs.asp#What will HDTV cost?
>
> Hmm. Looking at the pricing and the chanenl guides, it looks like you're
> right. I could swear that TNT did not work for me at some point. Either
> they changed it or I've insaned. I will try it when I get home tonight.

Okay. Here's what I get:

802 (COX2): Works.
803 (NET3): Works.
805 (KMTVHD): Works.
808 (WOWTHD): Works.
809 (KETVHD): Works.
810 (KPTMHD): Works.
812 (NETHD): Works.
814 (UHD): Subscription service. To subscribe to this service, UNIVERSAL HD, please call customer service at 933-3000.
815 (HBOHD): Subscription service.
819 (TNTHD): Subscription service.
820 (DSCVHD): Subscription service.
821 (ESPNHD): Subscription service.
822 (INHD): Subscription service.
823 (INHD2): Subscription service.
875 (SHOWHD): Subscription service.

So, without paying for a HD tier, HBO, Showtime, or any of that stuff, I
get 7 "HD" channels. 802 doesn't seem to show anything other than a pretty
screen saying that they sometimes show something.

--
Sean Kelly         | PGP KeyID: D2E5E296
smkelly at zombie.org | http://www.zombie.org