[olug] Slightly OT: COX digital channel numbers (mythTV users?)

Ryan Stille ryan at cfwebtools.com
Mon Jul 24 17:36:32 UTC 2006

Sean Kelly wrote:
> I can't speak to the encryption, but Cox has a HD tier that you must pay
> for in order to get TNT, ESPN, and all those others. Currently, I have Cox
> digital cable with the DVR box and do NOT pay for the HD tier, but I can
> still get the free-to-air HD stuff such as CBS (805), NBC (808), and ABC
> (809). I can capture the HD signal via FireWire, and if I had a HDTV I
> imagine I could watch them in HD as well.
>
> That said, since I do not pay for their HD tier, I do not have access to
> the TNT-HD, ESPN-HD, and other HD channels. I can't capture them, I can't
> watch them, and I can't generally touch them at all. This, to me, implies
> that they are encrypted.
>
> So, I'm guessing you're going to be pretty much limited to CBS, NBC, FOX,
> ABC, and PBS.

Hmmm.. So when you tune to 819, you don't get TNT-HD? The tech on the
phone told me that Cox doesn't charge specifically for the HD channels,
but they do rent the HD cable box so you can pick them up.  Their
website seems to support that also:
http://cox.com/omaha/digitalcable/hdtv_faqs.asp#What will HDTV cost?

-Ryan