[olug] Slightly OT: COX digital channel numbers (mythTV users?)

Sean Kelly smkelly at zombie.org
Mon Jul 24 16:47:21 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 10:41:07AM -0500, Ryan Stille wrote:
> Are you sure?  I thought only the premiums (HBO, SHO, etc.) are
> encrypted.  Aren't TNT and ESPN just part of the regular cable package?
> If so the HD variants of those channels should be in the clear.  They
> were in Sioux City anyway.

I can't speak to the encryption, but Cox has a HD tier that you must pay
for in order to get TNT, ESPN, and all those others. Currently, I have Cox
digital cable with the DVR box and do NOT pay for the HD tier, but I can
still get the free-to-air HD stuff such as CBS (805), NBC (808), and ABC
(809). I can capture the HD signal via FireWire, and if I had a HDTV I
imagine I could watch them in HD as well.

That said, since I do not pay for their HD tier, I do not have access to
the TNT-HD, ESPN-HD, and other HD channels. I can't capture them, I can't
watch them, and I can't generally touch them at all. This, to me, implies
that they are encrypted.

So, I'm guessing you're going to be pretty much limited to CBS, NBC, FOX,
ABC, and PBS.

--
Sean Kelly         | PGP KeyID: D2E5E296
smkelly at zombie.org | http://www.zombie.org