[olug] LISTSRV

Christopher Cashell topher at zyp.org
Sat Jan 21 22:39:42 UTC 2006

At Sat, 21 Jan 06, Unidentified Flying Banana Ed Carlsen, said:

> I am setting up a list server for my local church. Just something to
> send out weekly news bulletins not competing with OLUG.
> What is the best software to use on a FC 4 server?
> Any major problems to worry about?
> Any advice would be appreciated.

The most popular Free Software option for mailing lists is easily
Mailman[1].  It works with just about any Mail Transport Agent (MTA, aka
mail server daemon), is quite configurable, and reasonably easy to get
working.  Unless you have a special reason otherwise (such as, if you
are using Qmail as your MTA, you'd be silly not to use ezmlm), I would
probably suggest starting there.

It also provides a convenient web interface for many administrative
functions, and allows users to subscribe/unsubscribe themselves from a
web interface, if you want.  It does require Python, but I think that's
part of the base install in Fedora Core these days.

  [1] http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/