[olug] IPTables, Blacklist add multiple and range

Noel Leistad noel at metc.net
Sat Jan 21 20:55:59 UTC 2006

I've been using the firewall script AdamH presented. If the IPs are
already in a text file, so much the better. It's a shoe-in. You might
need a little of Joe Franco's vi text processing if the IPs are in a
string, but....

http://www.olug.org/presentations/December2004/rcfirewall.txt

In all actuality, I have very few "badips" in my file, most addresses I
block happen in hosts.deny

They end up there if they have repeatedly attempted ssh logins, apache
probes, etc and FAILED to address complaints to the "network owners" abuse@

I think hosts.deny is EASIER for full CLASSes of abusive addresses.
Individual addresses can go here as well, or are easily dropped into the
badips file for the rc.firewall script.

--
Noel Leistad
noel at metc.net