[olug] Newbie Question

Bill Brush bbrush at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 06:24:07 UTC 2006

There are several options for transferring files.  There's NFS, Samba,
scp, sftp, ftp, rcp, and the list goes on.

NFS is probably the fastest, but has near the lowest security.    FTP,
and the r* utilities aren't good because they send authentication data
in clear text.  Samba is ok, but it's basically LANManager networking
which isn't that fast.

If I had 2 machines I wanted to connect and I was behind a firewall
I'd probably use NFS, and be very explicit as to which hosts are
allowed to mount the exported file system.

You can restrict logins via ssh in the sshd.conf file.  IIRC it's in
the /etc/ssh directory.

Bill