[olug] Newbie Question

Eric Lusk wyrmzr72 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 17 04:45:57 UTC 2006

Just remember to use complex usernames and passwords
for ANY protocol.  Particularly if your system allows
remote root access.  Once you're online, there WILL be
bots hitting your system like crazy.
My hobby server gets a minimum several dozen breakin
attempts every day; have seen several hundred before.
I've disabled remote root access, and normally only
log in either across my home LAN or directly at the
terminal.
Welcome to the world of Linux, and don't be afraid to
ask questions.  Everyone's gotta start somewhere...

--- Jack <jdunn110 at cox.net> wrote:

>     Thanks for the ssh suggestion.  Sorry that had
> to be sent twice for
> me to actually try it.  That does indeed allow me to
> connect.
>     Now I'm busily ready man pages to figure out how
> to use sftp thru
> ssh to transfer files - or is there a better way?
>     (maybe I should have taken that advanced network
> admin course at
> metro after all...)
>
>     Jack
> /
> How exactly are you trying to connect to them?  Have
> you tried ssh?  If
> you have any type of firewall turned on, I'm
> assuming the HTTP ports
> will be blocked by default.  However, in general
> port 22 (ssh) is open
> for remote administration.
> ssh -l username ip_address/

https://www.ericshaus.com
Alcohol and Calculus don't mix.  Never drink and derive.