[olug] which VNC for Macintosh?

Matt Anderson manderso at cs.wisc.edu
Sun Jan 15 07:38:54 UTC 2006

The Apple Remote Desktop infrastructure is based on VNC, so with
Tiger and Panther (at least, dunno about Jaguar), there is a server
built in.  You can configure it in the Sharing Panel, Services Tab,
"Access Privileges" button.  I tried it briefly, and gave up on it --
it wasn't very flexible / configurable as a VNC server (though I
think that the Apple Remote Desktop proper is probably very cool).
But it will work.

OSXVnc works pretty well, and I don't know if there is even another
choice out there or not.  You can configure it to start as a service
when the computer boots, so you can get a VNC connect to the login
screen.  With Tiger you can even (with some desktop hopping
gymnastics to get things started) run multiple VNC servers on
multiple logins (different ports) with 'fast user switching'.

I know of at least two clients outside of the Apple Remote Desktop
(which you have to buy for a few hundred bucks).  "Chicken of the
VNC" and "VNCDimension".  Chicken of the VNC seems to be a bit more
stable and mature, VNCDimension much less stable but significantly
faster.  I've been using VNCDimension, though it crashes predictably
in some circumstances, and occasionally unpredictably.

All of these things are native apps, and don't require fink to even
be installed.

--
  Matt Anderson