[olug] iPod & DRM [was: digital rights management at work]

Sean Kelly smkelly at zombie.org
Sun Jan 1 08:18:27 UTC 2006

On Sat, Dec 31, 2005 at 08:17:39PM -0600, Phil Brutsche wrote:
> Daniel Linder wrote:
> > What I've done is used "Hymn" (http://hymn-project.org/) to decode
> > the iTunes/Apple specific files to a plain MP3.  I've purchased a few
> > songs through iTunes and it works like a champ.
>
> Sure, as long as you're not using iTunes 6 :)
>
> Apple changed something in the DRM with iTunes 6 and Hymn doesn't work
> with it yet.

Not only does it not work with it, but you can't downgrade either.
Apparently you can't buy from the music store unless you are using 6 once
you use 6. Sucks for somebody who has two computers and has a stricter
update schedule on one than the other...

> (yep, got burned by it)

Same here. And all I want to do is play them on my Squeezebox
(http://www.slimdevices.com). I am not in the market to steal, pirate, or
distribute them. I just want to be able to freaking play them.

--
Sean Kelly         | PGP KeyID: D2E5E296
smkelly at zombie.org | http://www.zombie.org