[olug] Backups??

Matt Anderson manderso at cs.wisc.edu
Mon Feb 27 22:41:11 UTC 2006

When last my 'life' was stored on a desktop Linux machine (a few
years back), I had an external USB drive which I backed up onto
nightly via cron using rdiff-backup (http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-
backup/).  rdiff-backup stores reverse diffs each time it detects a
change in a file, so not only do you have a current copy of all your
files backed up, you can revert to any previous version that rdiff-
backup had a hold of -- kind of like having all files in CVS.

Now, I'm using (a patched version of, as stock OS X 10.4 version is
broken) rsync to backup my PowerBook onto a firewire drive.  It
*would* be a cron job, if it wasn't a laptop not normally hooked up
to the firewire disks.  As it is, I plug in and run a backup when I
think of it.  I may redeploy rdiff-backup at some point.

--
  Matt Anderson