[olug] Looking for contributors for an Open-Source project

Jay Swackhamer Jay at RebootTheUser.com
Mon Feb 27 17:10:43 UTC 2006

Hello,

I am looking for C/PHP/Mysql interested people to assist with an
open-source video broadcast system. Experience not required, everyone
welcome.

The system is being developed to be a broadcast TV-Station system, along
with webcasting ability. This would be useful for those basement-cable-tv
guys or other non-profit stations, or even just setting up webcasts of
your vacation videos.

I hope to get the product to a general release stage in the next
month or two. I have the foundation done, but am looking for people
to help with the OSD portion/efficient PHP scripts/etc....

Without the income funding the project, I cannot use the short-route
of paid developers, and cannot put-off income producing projects when
they come in, but am working on the project when I would otherwise be
non-productive. I am hoping that the project will produce a revenue
stream for support/feature requests for all involved.

Background: I started developing the system for a client, who changed
the requirements after the initial payment, and then refused to pay
the additional hours working through thier growing/changing list of
requirements. Then they wanted to go back to the initial short-list
of requirements, and wanted me to forget about the additional hours I
had already worked. My projects are paid by the hour,
but for some reason the contact at the company acts like they were
going to purchase shrink-wrapped software that was completed, and
was mis-communicating back to his office of what was going on. It
is apparent that non-technical people should not handle technical
projects on behalf of their company. Getting technical requirements
becomes difficult when the questions are ignored or not understood.
Like asking 'what resolution do your files usually get produced at?' and
getting the answer '30-60 megabytes'. This whole thing could have
been done if they responded to in-depth requirement questions in a
timely manner, and would have paid the bill back in november.

--
Jay Swackhamer
Reboot The User