[olug] rdesktop won't complete login

Daniel Linder dan at linder.org
Tue Feb 14 18:05:43 UTC 2006

On Tue, February 14, 2006 06:43, Mike Hostetler wrote:

> I have a Windows box that has a SSH connection to a Linux box with

> tunnel on port 3389 (the remote desktop port).  On the linux side,

> when I run "rdesktop localhost", I do get the login prompt
for the

> Windows machine, and can login.  But then it stops (all I see is a

> blue screen) and I eventually get a "broken pipe" error
after several

> minutes.

> I've looked on the Windows Event log and see nothing wrong.  Does

> anyone here have ideas?

My first reaction was to think that the RDP protocol was kicking the
session off of 3389 and onto another port which was being blocked by your
firewall.  Research via Google says that all traffic should be going
across 3389 for the duration of the conneciton.

Have you tried using a sniffer (ethereal) on your Linux firewall to see
what traffic to/from your two machines is getting blocked?  That
might tell you what additional ports it wants open (if that is the
problem).

- - - -

"Wait for that wisest of all counselors, time." -- Pericles

"I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them." -- Isaac
Asimov

GPG fingerprint:6FFD DB94 7B96 0FD8 EADF  2EE0 B2B0 CC47 4FDE 9B68