[olug] Gentoo emerge question...

dan at linder.org dan at linder.org
Sat Feb 4 13:55:26 UTC 2006

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006, Jay Swackhamer wrote:
> You have something that is requiring php5 and you have php4/mod_php
> installed.
>
> Remove the php4 packages and install dev-lang/php
>
> the -e option = -emptytree = reinstalling the packages and depends
>
> add the -t option to show the depends tree to see what is requiring php5
>
> to remove and upgrade php
>
> emerge --unmerge dev-php/mod_php dev-php/php
> emerge dev-lang/php

Thanks for the advice -- I let it work it's compile MoJo late last night
and it was done by this morning... Unfortunatly the update broke
Squirrelmail, and Squirrelmail requires PHP complied with cli, pcre, xml,
and zlib...  So what I'm doing is a --unmerge of dev-lang/php, then trying
a re-install of dev-lang/php and squirrelmail.

> Make sure your apache options are set to start with php5 afterwards.
>
> You dont have to have every package updated to the latest revision.

True -- it seems that when I have let portage fall behind, at some point
in time there is a module I do want to update that requires every other
module under the sun.  :)

> Switching to unbuntu would just mean that you wouldnt have the option to
> upgrade to the latest revisions available.

Well, it would satify my "gotta-try-it" itis. :)

> What platforms are you mainting under Gentoo? I may have a binhost that
> you could use in the next couple of weeks.

It's an AMD XP 1800 -- if I would use your binhost, wouldn't our USE
variables have to be the same?

Dan

- - - - -
"Wait for that wisest of all counselors, time." -- Pericles
"I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them." -- Isaac
Asimov
GPG fingerprint:6FFD DB94 7B96 0FD8 EADF  2EE0 B2B0 CC47 4FDE 9B68