[olug] Low cost video recording

Ryan Stille rps at willcomminc.com
Thu Feb 2 14:48:06 UTC 2006

Craig Wolf wrote:
> I was approached by 1 of customers and they want a means of
> recording 3 or 4 isolation rooms in case a student does
> something that they need to watch happen or save off to show
> the parents and I am at a loss as to even look at
> recommending.  ANY ideas accepted!

A VCR?

There are devices which will combine 4 video signals into a single
signal with 4 panes, one for each original signal.  You can then run
this into a single slow recording VCR or even a regular VCR if six hours
is enough recording capacity.  Or run it into a Linux box which could
record until the hard drive is almost full then have it start deleting
the oldest files.  Could capture weeks worth at a time that way if you
want to.  I couldn't tell you which tools to do that with though.

-Ryan