[olug] local groups and Active Directory

Adam Lassek adam.lassek at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 21:21:28 UTC 2006

I've run into an interesting problem with SuSE 10.2, or rather,
Samba's AD support. I've configured a machine to attach to the company
Domain, and have been using the Directory for user authentication. It
worked great out of the box, but I need to be able to add a user who
is authenticated through AD into a local group. There doesn't seem to
be any way to do this.

For instance, the system won't let any unprivileged user to access the
sound card unless they are added to the "audio" group. But if the user
is authenticated through AD and not /etc/passwd, is there any way to
do this?