[olug] Using SVN for scripts and config data?

Daniel Pfile daniel at pfile.net
Thu Dec 21 16:47:29 UTC 2006

Subversion is normally used to manage software development, and seems
to be oriented towards managing entire trees of software. However,
I'm a sysadmin who works on lots of really small pieces of software.
We have a decent number of linux boxes that do what unix does best,
sling data around networks. We do it with lots of scripts, different
kinds of servers, databases, etc. We'd like to start keeping our
config files in revision control.

So I'm wondering if anybody on the list does something similar. How
do you organize your scripts? Some things are obvious, like network
appliance configs that can go into their own repository. Or the
config directory for our main applications that can go in it's own
repository. But what about smaller things, like the 2 or 3 scripts on
one machine that split logs, the cluster failover scripts on another
server, the crontab scripts that do housekeeping nightly, and so on.

Any personal insights or articles/references are much appreciated.

-- Daniel

PS: We also use TWiki for docs, and I'd like to tie our documentation
system into our script/config repository system if possible. I'm sure
it won't be hard with a perl svn module, but If you've done something
similar, let me know!

PPS: I don't HAVE to use SVN, I'd just like to because of the amount
of tools and documentation available on it for the rest of the staff
who will need to keep data in it. If there's something much better,
I'd be happy to know about it.