[olug] RSS, Atom , etc.

Tim & Alethea Larson thelarsons3 at cox.net
Wed Dec 6 06:24:23 UTC 2006

Joe Gulizia wrote:
> What do RSS and Atom do for a website?
>
> Why would an end user want me to make it part of my site?

RSS and Atom are technologies used for syndication.  They are a simple,
standard XML format that other sites can parse and include in their own
site easily.  Many people now get their news by aggregating these "news
feeds" rather than visiting a multitude of websites one at a time.
Since they are a standard format, it is simple to build a single web
page that collects all the headlines from sites you like.  There are
also specialized feedreader apps, just like you have newsreader apps for
Usenet.  Thunderbird and Opera have integrated RSS capabilities.

Tim

--
Tim & Alethea
christtrek.org