[olug] How's Running a Linux Desktop at Work?

Jay Woods woodsjay at cox.net
Tue Aug 1 12:48:17 UTC 2006

My answers are below. I run kde linux with VNC to windows and from windows
with putty. I provided my own system for months until the company got around
to providing the box. The LCD is still mine.

On Monday 31 July 2006 21:35, Aaron Grothe wrote:

>  Here are the questions combined with my answers:
>
>  Q) If you have multiple machines which is the primary?
  A) In my case the Linux box comes first with the Microsoft Windows box
 being needed for a few apps.

>  Q) Are you actually allowed to run Linux on your desktop or are you
> running "under the radar"?
 A) It is known officially and partially administered by the official unix
administration group.

>  Q) Did you install Linux or did come that way from your tech group?
  A) I did the installs myself and then the unix admin changed a few things to
get me VPN, access to the my company login and remote data.

>  Q) Are you encouraged, allowed or just tolerated?
 A) Encouraged no higher than my boss.

>  Q) How many people have you been able to convert?
  A) None, all of the programming staff is already running linux.

>  Q) What are you running?
  A) Fedora Core 5 with Centos 4.02 on servers. (We are using Sybase which
won't run on Fedora Core 5.)

>  Q) What has been the biggest challenge in going to Linux?
  A) Applications, too many of them need to be reinstalled with each upgrade
of the kernel. Kdevelop still doesn't have a manual.

>  Q) Thing that most suprises people about your desktop?
  A) No real surprises.