[olug] Dialup/Dialin server and compression

Charles Bird thebirdman at operamail.com
Sun Apr 9 08:14:46 UTC 2006

I am about to attempt the dialin server again, been a couple yrs i think.
My ex is broke and wanting to occasionally get online, she has a phone line and I am willing to give her some late night access.
I am assuming that in my google searches on this topic that nothing has really changed since the yr 2000.
I dont need to do any auth. for this as no one will know that it exists.
My question :
  Is there any non propritary compression available for those lil packets?
hardware will be perhaps a 233Mhz/256MB ram PI with slackware CLI, pci 56k modem, and pci nic.
I know that compression takes cpu cycles...whats your thoughts on this?
Thanks!