[olug] is it just me?

Dave Hull dphull at insipid.com
Fri Sep 23 15:45:59 UTC 2005

Quoting Neal Rauhauser <neal at lists.rauhauser.net>:

> I've got SuSe 9.2 on my laptop and more and more I'm feeling like its
> just a fancy skin over a Microsoft product.
[Remainder snipped for brevity]

It's not just you. I had been admining a dozen Red Hat boxes before
coming into
my current job where it's a Suse shop. When I came on board, everyone was
preaching the virtues of Yast and how easy it makes everything. It is good for
some things, but it's not a transparent as it could be.

I still prefer doing most things from the command line. Yast feels like a
violation of the "Unix way" (i.e. simple tools doing simple things well with
the ability to tie multiple tools together via scripting and pipes to
accomplish difficult tasks).

--
Dave Hull
http://insipid.com