[olug] Doing a SuSE install

Thomas D. Williamson twilliam at inebraska.com
Fri Sep 23 14:01:48 UTC 2005

In the last few days I got a Compaq Armada M700, 11 Gb HD with a 633 or 650 mHz
processor. I loaded the Novell DVD with 9.1 to install and let it do the
automatic thing. All items were properly identified and the installation began.
The intallation moved through all the splash screens and showed the progress
moving to completion. When it was at 99% and 14 seconds left the installation
seemed to stop. I presumed there was other set up stuff going on before the
installtion would close out. I left the program up and when I came back after
being away for a few hours the installation program was still at 99% and 14
seconds left.

I could not get any response from mouse movement or keyboard commands
(Ctl-Alt-Del). I turned off the power and restored it to allowed a restart.
When this restarted there was no OS selection from GRUB and it booted to a
Windows 2000 partition.

Should I try a reinstall and do it manually and if I do that is there something
I need to be aware of that is not allowing the install to finish?

Thanks,

Tom Williamson