[olug] NASLight-SMB

Daniel Linder dan at linder.org
Mon Sep 5 03:14:35 UTC 2005

Everyone,

A couple days back I the list about very light, minimally complex network
server installs.  I finally got around to playing with
"NASLight-SMB".

The NASLight-SMB server is contained on a single bootable 1.77MB diskette
(they give directions how to format a regular 1.44MB floppy to hold this
much).  It has a menu system with very basic, easy to follow
directions.  All I had to do was boot off the floppy, configure the
HDDs (up to four drives), set the IP Address, the server
name("titan"), and the workgroup name, save the config, and
reboot.

The next reboot it found the new blank drives, mounted them, and shared
them to the network.  From my wifes machine, I added the server name
to the "hosts" file and I was browsing the shares right
away.

As a bonus, there is a Web interface to the files, too.  If you just
need to download a file from a machine not in the workgroup you can do
that through the web server interface.

The only drawback is that my two physical drives are two different share
points off the server (i.e. "\\titan\Disk-1\" and
\\titan\Disk-2\"). I had hoped it would have used software RAID to
merge them into one large space.  Oh well, what should I expect for
free! :)

In all, pretty slick for a bare-bones server.

I might have to leave this up as my simple in-house server so I'm not
tempted to mess around and make a complicated "do it all" server
that could break if I mis-configure something.

Dan

- - - - -

"Wait for that wisest of all counselors, time." -- Pericles

"I do not fear computer, I fear the lack of them." -- Isaac
Asimov

GPG fingerprint:6FFD DB94 7B96 0FD8 EADF  2EE0 B2B0 CC47 4FDE 9B68