[olug] list just directories and not files

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Fri Sep 2 01:13:06 UTC 2005

Is there a way in unix to list "just the directories" and none of the
other files?

I could use a "find . -type d -maxdepth 1" but I'd also like to list the
permissions of these directories, then of course quickly change them to
make them all executable.

Any suggestions? =)

And note, "ls -d" does not work like I think it should, I can only use
it on specific directories to see permissions, like "ls -ld Maildir"

Brian

          List Files and Directories

    ls /directory-name/ - list contents of directory

        -a list all files including invisible files
        -l long list - shows ownership, permission, and links
        -t list files chronologically
        * -f * append "*" to executable file name, "/" to directory name
        * -d * list directories
        * -u * list files using time of last access instead of time of
        last modification
        * -F * mark directories with forward slash, mark executables
        with an @-sign.
        * -g * lists ownership of each file or directory

Brian

--
bwiese[at]cotse.com | brianwiese.net | 402.297.9392
"What we do in life echoes in eternity" - Gladiator