[olug] Mounting Flash Drives as a user

Don E. Kauffman dekauff at cox.net
Mon Oct 24 01:16:00 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'd like to know if there is a way to mount flash devices as a user --
not as root. Failing that I'd like to know if there is a way that one
can mount and unmount without having to be root. I'm using Suse 9.3.

I've tried unmounting it and remounting as my user but then it's not
accessible to write. Do I need to chown and chmod that directory? I
don't want to make changes with out at least bouncing it off this list.

It's a pain having to be root just to enter a simple command. (yes, I
know there are reasons but . .. .) I can use and am using sudo to do
this.

Now ubuntu allows me to mount and unmount it as a regular user which
makes me think that something isn't setup right in my SUSe system. Or
maybe something is wrong in my Ubuntu system . . . . :-)

Thanks for any help.

Don K.
--
"VISTA is really an acronym for Viruses, Infections, Spyware,
Trojans, and Adware."