[olug] Re: Windows vs. Linux virus comparison

Eric P eric.maillist at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 00:17:20 UTC 2005

Eric P wrote:
> I'm looking for a good online reference which compares the # viruses
> that have targeted Windows vs. Linux.
>
> I've seen something like this before (few years back) and it was,
> obviously, very lop sided.  I think it was something like 50,000+ for
> Windows and like 12 for Linux.
>
> I've tried a few combinations of 'virus windows Linux comparison' in
> Google, but I can't quite a nice, simple black and white report.
>
> Anyway, if anyone has a link, I'd be much obliged.
>
> Eric

I just stumbled upon this link:
http://www.wildlist.org/WildList/200507.htm

Seems like a nice, unbiased tracking of all viruses currently in the
wild.  I see a boat load of W32 (Windows 32 bit), but anyone have an
ideas what the other abbreviations are?

BAT
JS
O97M
VBS (visual basic script?)
W97M
WM
X97M
XF
XM

I can't find a key anywhere on this site to decipher these... ugh.

According to this article (http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/188),
any Linux based viruses would be listed under the "Other" section.
Currently, it's at 0.

Eric P