[olug] Media Player issues in SUSE 9.3

Scott Jones scottj.org at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 16:58:15 UTC 2005

On Friday 14 October 2005 10:53, Joe Gulizia wrote:

<snip>

> I tried downloading all the required rpm libraries
> from the pac-man site that Adam Haeder gave a couple
> of Installfests ago BUT they are either newer
> libraries OR I 'm not putting them in in the right
> order because I still can't get them to resolve the
> dependency conflicts.

You can add packman (and other repos) as a YaST installation source.  From the
shell as root: installation_sources -a <url of source>.  Or from YaST:
Software, Change Source of Installation, Add.  This way, you can just use
YaST's "Install and Remove Software" module to grab packages from packman, et
al, and let YaST resolve the dependencies for you.  See also
http://www.opensuse.org/Additional_YaST_Package_Repositories.

If you're feeling daring, you can also give the port of apt for SuSE a spin.
Info can be found at http://linux01.gwdg.de.  Currently, there are more apt
repositories available than YaST repos, but this will hopefully change soon.
Third-party packagers are starting to add support for the repomd (repository
metadata) format that will allow repomd-aware tools such as yum, smartpm, and
YaST to access those repos.

--
Homepage                        http://scottj.org
XFce desktop environment        http://www.xfce.org