[olug] contact Lee Terry *today*

Daniel Linder dan at linder.org
Tue Oct 11 20:49:47 UTC 2005

I too just called Mr. Terry's voice number (397-9944) and spoke with a
nice woman there (I didn't catch her name).

I explained that I was concerned about this law for a number of reasons:

1: If this broadcast flag is implemented, it means that *any* data could
be deemed un-recordable or un-playable in the future.  Fifty years
from now, if my daughter wants to watch a DVD of her fourth birthday, it's
quite possible that the DRM restrictions will not allow her to watch that
"unauthorized" video on her home television.  This
resonated with with her; she mentioned she was an amature
photographer.

2: I requested that I receive a response back from Mr. Terry stating why a
Nebraska citizen should support this bill.  I said I could understand
a major film industry-based state such as California supporting it, but i
was at a loss as to why Nebraska was behind it.

3: We'll be caught in a potential constant upgrade cycle so that the
newest videos require a brand-new TV to support the newest encryption and
DRM restrictions.  In essence, if this is allowed to go through, then
the varioius industries that could control the broadcast flag could
require that I only view it on a late-model TV.  I don't want to
purchase a new TV every 4-5 years just to appease the security concerns of
the industries.

Just some speaking points that you can use if you're at a loss for words.
:)

Dan

On Tue, October 11, 2005 14:12, Jeff Hinrichs wrote:

> I faxed and placed calls to Terry's office.  I explained why I was

> against it (limits fair-use, increase cost of equipment) but I
inquired

> as to why Terry had been in favor of it.  I told them I knew that he
was

> one of twenty in favor of it, but he had not yet explained to his

> constituents why he was in favor or what his position is on the
subject.

From:  Neal Rauhauser

>  I spoke this morning with one of Lee Terry's staff named Dean -

> 397-9944.

- - - - -

"Wait for that wisest of all counselors, time." -- Pericles

"I do not fear computer, I fear the lack of them." -- Isaac
Asimov

GPG fingerprint:6FFD DB94 7B96 0FD8 EADF  2EE0 B2B0 CC47 4FDE 9B68