[olug] Controlling user's ability to change Firefox configs

jachurchill at cox.net jachurchill at cox.net
Mon Oct 10 18:05:51 UTC 2005

Have you tried just setting the application access using chmod?  I don't know if this limits the user's ability to change preferences but if you store firefox in a system directory and a particular user is trying to use it, it might work.

Other than that, I'm not aware of any firefox specific security features that would prevent a user from doing this.  That might be a downfall for an open source browser.  Even if you did lock it down, the user would still be able to download the file from mozilla.org and unzip it in their home directory and have full access.

You may also be able to set something in the proxy server to only accept connections if certain conditions are met.  sorry, I've never messed with any of that software so I'm not familiar.