[olug] email server setup question

Jon H. Larsen relayer at levania.org
Tue Nov 22 21:31:22 UTC 2005

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005, Charles Bird wrote:

> Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 21:02:09 +0100
> From: Charles Bird <thebirdman at operamail.com>
> To: olug at olug.org
> Subject: [olug] email server setup question
>
> i have a lil squirrelmail server on a cox connection, i know i cant send out on port 25 due to cox spam reduction policy, is there a way to tell squirrel to send and listen on higher port and use a relay outside of cox network?
>
> i cant find anything that i can define a particular port to listen on, or send.
>
> thx
>
> I got the mother of all questions coming up in the next email.

First things first:
You should save your old copies of sendmail.cf and sendmail.mc 'Just in
Case' (copy to sendmail.mc.orig and sendmail.cf.orig).

You can configure Sendmail to listen on the alternate port of 587, you
can find it in your sendmail.mc file.  Looks kinda like this:

dnl #
dnl # The following causes sendmail to additionally listen to port 587 for
dnl # mail from MUAs that authenticate. Roaming users who can't reach their
dnl # preferred sendmail daemon due to port 25 being blocked or redirected find
dnl # this useful.
dnl #
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=submission, Name=MSA, M=Ea')dnl

Once enabled, recompile your sendmail.mc and you'll have a new sendmail.cf
(the compile instructions should be at the top of sendmail.mc)

Don't forget to open the firewall to allow port 587.

Restart sendmail.

Test your connection.

Even better: configure sendmail for TLS on port 465.  There are some
notes in the sendmail.mc and by searching google.

(Example - Gmail uses TLS and 465 for outbound mail for clients like
Thunderbird/etc.)

Jon L.

--
Jon H. Larsen  - relayer -at- levania -dot- org
Omaha Linux Users Group - http://www.olug.org/