[olug] Jim Esch >> Lee Terry re: fair use & other issues

Thomas D. Williamson twilliam at inebraska.com
Fri Nov 11 14:41:01 UTC 2005

There are two things I would like to mention. One is that OLUG is a community of
sorts and communities have political interests. That we are having this
discussion about how "we" are being represented seems appropriate to this
group. Personally I am not involved with computers, networks and the like in my
work as directly as I had been, but I like being informed about how Linux works,
what applications are useful with it and how to solve issues and problems in it
installation, function, and use of applications. But a healthy community will
talk about issues not directly related to its specific goals, and I enjoy
hearing the "off topic" things as they are not "off" merely alternative issues
that may have just as much import to some of the members as finding the right
bit of script to sort and print a list or an obscure command that makes a
relatively unused process start.

Secondly, Lee Terry, Jr. got a start in politics because of name recognition of
his father, Lee Terry, Sr. Lee Terry, Sr. was a new announcer for a local news
station, I don't remember which because the affilates changed in the early to
mid-seventies. He was in that position for nearly twenty-years, in the last
eight or so years, he became a commentator and would have provide commentaries
on the new two or three times a week. These were of a more conservative
direction, although sometimes they were pretty controversial positions, but you
do what you have to do for rating. Lee Terry, Sr.'s career was in the media and
it paid him well. When he became too old for television he was dropped, there
were rumors of other problems that hastened his removal as well, but I have
nothing but rumors to go on.

That Lee Terry, Jr. is pro-broadcasting is no surprise as that was what he grew
up with and benefitted from. I do not know that he did much of anything other
than be a politician. The memory of his father and the name recognition got him
his first election to a local office, I don't remember if it was the City
Council or Douglas County Board. That would have been right around the time
Daub lost the representative seat to a Democrat, he served two terms, then
Christiansen was elected and served two terms. When Christiansen attempted to
run for Senate, Terry ran and won the seat.

So that is how we have a corporate broadcasting supporter as a representative of
Nebraska.

Tom Williamson