[olug] congressman Terry needs more attention

Jeff Hinrichs JeffH at delasco.com
Tue Nov 8 16:50:29 UTC 2005

Rep. Terry doesn't appear to be open to having his mind changed via
persuasive arguments and facts.

It appears that if you really care about this issue it's going to take
some old time spot-light shining.

Here is the ugly:
 1) Even though he is in favor of the BF, he wants to vote that the FCC
(non-elected) be given permission to modify and limit our first
amendment rights, namely "fair use."  The MPAA and RIAA know that if
they don't hide this decision in some non-elected committee that it
would never pass in an open Congressional session.  This is a blatantly
cowardly act, orchestrated by the MPAA/RIAA and one that only serves to
harm us, the electorate.
In a nutshell, "Terry favors abridging First Amendment Rights"

Last Avenues of Influence:
 A spotlight needs to be set on the congressman and we need to point out
the negatives that affect voters locally and in the pocketbook.  To that
end: Letters to the Editor in the OWH would help.  Any Radio air time
that anyone can get, especially stations like 89.7, Z-92 etc.

A media event such as a demonstration in front of his office with lots
of news crews. Maybe the EFF could give some pointers on what would be
effective in getting news crews to attend.

We will need a website to promote that will instruct the motivated on
what they can do.

Anyone up for some old fashion politicking?