[olug] congressman Terry needs more attention

Daniel Linder dan at linder.org
Sat Nov 5 16:20:02 UTC 2005

On Fri, November 4, 2005 21:45, Neal Rauhauser wrote:

>  What a lovely form letter you have there, Mr. Linder.

What I didn't mention is that the "Mr. Linder" had been crossed
out in blue pen and "Dan" was written next to the
salutation.  It's the same blue pen that Mr. Terry signed his name
in.  I assume it was an attempt at "personalizing" the
letter, but at first I construed it as "opps, we should make this
sound more personal....but let's not reprint it."  Now *THAT*
would be big-time government waste.

> Shall we all take

> a day off and picket his office before the weather gets too nasty?
Next

> Thursday?

I doubt I could make it, but if we are going to do this we realy need to
have things in order:

1: Get a simple (one page) flyer explaining in "Joe Sixpack"
terms how this law will impact their viewing habits.  Use local
examples such as "The TV company could prohibit the
recording/saving/playback of Nebraska football games -- no more recording
them to watch later in the day", or "This could lead to new DVD
players which would not work with your current analog TV."

2: Talk with the local and national EFF chapters -- see if they have other
talking points on this subject.  EFF web site: http://www.eff.org/

3: Make sure everyone is prepared to talk "off the cuff" -- if
this should attract attention, it will look better if these examples come
from the heart and not from a script.

4: Speaking of attention, it might not hurt to drop a line with the local
TV and radio stations.  Sadly, they might not be all that hip in
broadcasting something that is counter to their business plans.
Also, the local University newspaper/radio station could be a good group
to contact.

5: If you are aproached by a reporter, pay close attention to how they are
phrasing their questions.  If their question is pushing you in a
direction to the answer they might be fishing for, make sure your answer
begins with "No, the real impact wil be..." (re-word as
appropriate).  Remember, the "Fourth Estate"
is backing this bill so if our public actions start getting noticed, we'll
actually draw their fire.

Dan

- - - - -

"Wait for that wisest of all counselors, time." -- Pericles

"I do not fear computer, I fear the lack of them." -- Isaac
Asimov

GPG fingerprint:6FFD DB94 7B96 0FD8 EADF  2EE0 B2B0 CC47 4FDE 9B68