[olug] Ati-Virus/Anti-Spam/Anti-Spyware for Linux?

A-Wal A-Wal at cox.net
Tue May 31 14:45:50 UTC 2005

Hello guys,

    This will be my first post on this list, so if my question has
already been answered then sorry.

    Ok, what I would like to have is a way to check for viruses, spam
and spyware as a regular user on a linux machine.  When I install either
Suse or Fedora, I notice that it installs a couple programs that work at
a server level, or at least that's what I think they're for.  I'm not
running a mail server.  All I do is pull my email off of Cox and read
it, or surf the web.  I tried doing a search for something like this,
but I couldn't find anything I felt secure in just downloading.  What
I'm looking for is something that functions like Norton AVG, checking
each email as I get them, and in general, making sure I don't get
anything I don't want.  I would also like to be able to scan the whole
system as SU to make sure nothing got past my user account.  It would be
nice if it was free and open source, but it's more important that it be
updated regularly for new viruses and stuff.  As things stand, I have no
idea what software to use or trust, which makes it hard.

 Any comments would be welcome.
Thanks!