[olug] server not accepting connections past certain point

Charles Bird thebirdman at operamail.com
Sat May 28 21:23:55 UTC 2005

My problem child which is a v-server on linode is giving me
problems.  I am running gentoo, no gui. I'm running
services like apache2, my_sqld, and verlihub for DC
protocol...
   Its up and running after weeks of compiling and
tweaking, started out with 5 users, then 10, then 25, she
pegged out at 1020 and i was stumped...should be able to do
5000+ connections.  I changed ulimit -n to 10240 instead of
1024, fixed that problem.
Now I cant get past 1750 connections, i tried pinging
another server in the chicago area and got:
# ping 66.90.66.1
ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted

Connecting to hub usually times out, cant ping hub from
outside, but yet there are users on there and there is not
much lag at all, pretty snappy.
I dont see any iptables, chains, etc.
loads are not bad.
checked conf for the hub software and is setup for max user
count of 10000+

Does anyone know where i should start for trouble shooting?
Any magic commands? =D